Pages and Information

January 09, 2013

Free is definitely less than $10

This time of the year, it can be hard to get out of the house.  I don't (just) mean the difficulty of shoveling the walk and navigating the roads, although those can be their own challenge.  Even with roadways relatively clear, the frigid conditions mean my family is less likely to leave home except for necessities.  The ordeal of putting on layers, finding a coat, scratch that, finding a clean coat, finding a hat, where's your hat, I told you to put your hat away so you'd know where it is, here's a hat, now find some mittens, this mitten doesn't match, at least these mittens are both blue, well that one's a glove but whatever, have you got your boots on, I can't put on boots with mittens on, so take your mittens off, put your boots on, put mittens back on, my mitten is stuck in my zipper, ok free, ok ready, go!...if we're going to go somewhere, it had better be worth it. 

But we definitely need to get out of the house a bit more.  Looking at the same walls, the same photos, the same furniture... cabin fever is tickling round the edges of my consciousness.  But how to get out of the house without spending far too much money?  Pullman's Chamber of Commerce has created a great list: 10 things to do in the area, none of which will cost more than $10!  And some of them are even free! 

They call it their "10 under $10" list.  Not only are all of the suggestions great ideas for getting out of the house and seeing new faces, they also support local groups and local businesses.  And you could win a prize!  How could it get better?

The library is featured in this month's list: "Learn to Knit! Fridays 1-2:30pm at Neill Public Library – all skills are welcome!"  I love the atmosphere of the weekly Good Yarns program-- so relaxed and welcoming.  I get help when I'm stuck (what does "pnso" mean anyway?) and I get to help others (although, having taught myself to knit, I always amend my statements with "that's how I do it and it's never fallen apart").  The best part is when people pass around recently-completed projects. 

For the complete list of get-out-of-the-house! activities, visit the Chamber's website or stop by the Information Desk at the library; we've got copies for you.  See you at the library... or maybe at the Dahmen Barn!

[see Blog Policy Information regarding external links.]

No comments: