Pages and Information

September 21, 2014

World Gratitude Day!

National World Gratitude Day
I was unaware that September 21 is “National World Gratitude Day,” but am grateful to learn there is such a day! I think gratitude is highly underrated in our society.  I think we would all live life more fully and consciously if being grateful were closer to the top of our daily “to do” list.  My grandma always said, “I could start writing down what I’m grateful for and never run out of things to include.”  I couldn’t agree more.
As a collector of quotations, in honor of National World Gratitude Day, I will share some of my favorites (of which I’m sure my sweet Grandma would agree!):

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. Ahh, a gem by Marcus Aurelius

From Melody Beattie comes this profound statement:
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.

Gilbert Chesterton reminds us:
When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.

And last, but certainly not least, wise words from our nation’s First Lady Michelle Obama about how her parents approached the concept of gratitude with Michelle and her brother Craig:
We learned about gratitude and humility - that so many people had a hand in our success, from the teachers who inspired us to the janitors who kept our school clean... and we were taught to value everyone's contribution and treat everyone with respect.

All of us at Neill Public Library are grateful to our patrons.  We hope you will visit us often. We’re here to serve.

Kathleen Ahern
Children's Librarian




No comments: