The best place to start is with our own daily actions, and here are five simple things that we can do to create a happier world and improve the personal connections in our life.
- Do something kind for others - As the saying goes, "What goes around comes around." Research shows that being kind to others increases our own level of happiness. It's contagious like the commercial where someone sees someone else do something nice, so they do something nice when the opportunity arises - and it makes our communities a nicer place to live.
- Volunteer - Whether it's one time or something you do on a regular basis, volunteering is a good thing. Not only are you making a positive contribution to your community, but it's a great way to meet people and to increase your own happiness and well being.
- Get to know your neighbors better - Getting to know the people who live nearby helps to create a sense of belonging. It strengthens the connections and trust in the neighborhood and makes everyone happier.
- Understand each other's needs - Good communication is the key to a happy relationship, and it stems from understanding the needs of others and knowing that they hear your needs. If you have this, you will have a deeper connection and greater happiness.
- Look for the good in those around you - It's easy to take others for granted. Take the time to think about what you value and appreciate in others and tell them, especially those most important to you, and you will both be happier.
Not all of our friends and family live close to us, where we see them every day. However, it's still important that we improve our personal connections with these people. One way to do that is to share something positive with your online connections, using the hashtag: #InternationalDayOfHappiness, or you could be part of a positive message flash-mob.