Pages and Information

August 21, 2010

Bronzed books donated to NPL in loving memory of James D. Maguire

Janet Maguire, sitting next to the bronzed books installed
in memory of her husband.

Jan wrote in a letter regarding the bronzed books...

Jim and I met at the WSC library in 1951.  He was a senior and I was a freshman.  Our friendship grew into 50 years of marriage and four sons, Jeffrey, Peter, Gary and Christopher, all WSU grads.

We were frequent patrons at our Pullman Library and now I can sit on a bench, with Jim’s books.  Perhaps the top book is his autobiography.  The second book has “007” on its spine.  Many people thought that with his short grey beard and mustache, he resembled Sean Connery.  Mystery books were his favorite.

The books were cast in bronze, to my specifications, by Roark Congdon, an M.F.A. graduate at WSU.

Jim, I’ll sit beside your books and think of you.

No comments: